Can your Super Fund invest in precious metals?
Precious metals have proven to be a popular asset to act as an insurance policy for wealth preservation throughout history. So how can you invest in gold, silver and platinum for your retirement portfolio?
A self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) allows Trustees to choose the assets to suit their risk profile and investment strategy. Superannuation protects your wealth and assets until the day you retire and a SMSF allows you to choose how you manage for your retirement saving.
GBA has many clients who have invested in precious metals as a strategy to preserve the value of their retirement fund using their SMSF.
Safeguarding your future
The importance of a diversified portfolio
Precious metals are an asset many investors seek when economic markets are uncertain. Why is this so?
Gold is an insurance policy that can preserve wealth. It’s like a rainy-day fund to protect you against falling real estate prices, sporadic inflations, and volatile global market conditions. You may also increase your wealth along the way if gold or silver appreciates as it has done for the past decade.
- Unlike other investments, gold, silver and platinum will always be considered precious.
- Physical precious metals have no 3rd party risk
- Bullion is a great tool to diversify your portfolio and protect your wealth (insurance) – precious metals have a longstanding track record
- There is potential to see a higher return on your investment, if and when the value appreciates.
What type of precious metals are most suitable for SMSF's?
There are a number of things SMSF Trustees should consider when selecting the most appropriate assets for their SMSF portfolios:
– liquidity & ability to quickly buy and sell
– correlation to other assets in their portfolio
– asset’s purpose such as a crisis or inflation hedge
– fees & costs such as audit & insurance
To address many of the points above, a logical choice to invest in precious metals for your SMSF is to choose a Pool Allocated product.
An asset class that ticks all the boxes
John and Liz have traditionally invested in property and shares; they have a successful business and they have invested wisely over the years.
However, as they approach retirement they are concerned that economic volatility will erode their hard earned nest egg; and they don’t want to tie everything up in property in case they need access to funds.
After considerable research, John and Liz decided that investing in gold and silver suited their circumstances. They can sell down at a moment’s notice but also feel confident that their investment will still hold it’s value for our future generations.